A Commitment to Accessibility
Meadows Mental Health Policy Institute (MMHPI) believes in social equity and digital equality. Our mission is to make the web more accessible for all of our users.
Accessibility & Community
We strive to develop resources designed to be usable to the greatest extent possible by everyone. This includes designing and developing from an accessibility-first perspective and providing education to users and team members about how certain elements or decisions may impact accessibility.
Building a better, more accessible internet is a responsibility that we share and are proud to provide. Our goal is to ensure that everyone has equal access to information and tools on the web.
Standards used on https://mmhpi.org, healthypasodelnorte.org, https://engageandexcel.org, and https://okaytosay.org are structured in a way that allows those of all abilities to easily and quickly find the information they need.
Ongoing Efforts to Ensure Accessibility
We follow the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) version 2.1 opens a new window as our guiding principle. These are internationally agreed-upon standards that cover a wide range of recommendations and best practices for making content more accessible. As we develop new pages and functionality for our websites, all designs, code, and content entry practices are checked against these standards.
We continually test content and features for WCAG 2.1 Level AA compliance and remediate any issues to ensure we meet or exceed the standards. Where possible, we strive to meet AAA success criteria in addition to AA success criteria.
Testing the website is performed by our accessibility experts using industry-standard tools such as Accessibility Checker, Monsido, WAVE, screen readers, color contrast analyzers, keyboard-only navigation techniques, and Flesch-Kincaid readability tests.
The following is a list of items we have included in online platforms to improve accessibility:
- Website design has a mobile-responsive version with appropriately sized tap-targets.
- We have thoughtfully selected a font that has marked differences in commonly ambiguous characters, such as the number 1, lowercase l, and uppercase I.
- Our user interface colors were intentionally selected for color contrast and meet AAA requirements, even for small text.
- Navigational aids are provided on all pages. Skip navigation links have been incorporated to facilitate keyboard navigation and to bypass content on a page, allowing users to jump directly to the primary navigation, main content, and footer.
- Website declares a language in the header for browsers and readers to translate to all supported languages.
- All images and other non-text elements have appropriate alternative text and titles associated with them.
- Structural markup to indicate expected section containers, headings, lists, and buttons has been provided to make our content more understandable and “skim-able” by all users, regardless of device.
- Forms are associated with labels and instructions on filling in forms are available, along with clearly understandable error states.
- Accessible Rich Internet Applications (ARIA) screen-reader only text is present when links, buttons, icons, or images require additional context to understand their meaning.
- A warning is provided before links open in a new tab or window.
Accessibility Support Contact
We welcome comments, questions, and feedback on our website. If you notice aspects of the site that don’t work for you or your assistive technology, please let us know. We will do our best to assist you and resolve issues.
How to Contact Us
If you have any questions about our accessibility efforts, you can contact us at:
Meadows Mental Health Policy Institute
Attn: Data Team
2800 Swiss Avenue
Dallas, TX 75204
* You may elect to email us your question at [email protected] and we will reply, answering your question to the best of our abilities at our earliest convenience.
** You may elect to contact us by phone Monday-Friday, 8:30AM – 5:00PM Central Time. After normal business hours a voicemail will record your message and we will return your call at our earliest convenience if your inquiry is a legitimate claim and not a vendor inquiry.
Accessibility Statement reviewed or updated September 2022.